Tuesday, October 13, 2009

door/file cabinet redo

Here is the cool new desk that my husband and I put together. I have had these file cabinets, that I got free from Craigslist, for a few months and have just been waiting for a good idea to pop into my head. Well...a few weeks ago it did.

First I primed, spray painted and sealed my file cabinets.
Next, I tracked down this great door at the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I sanded, primed, painted and glazed it. Giving it that great vintage look.
Then, we ordered a piece of glass that measured the size of the door.
Last, we placed the door on top of the file cabinets and...ta da...we have the most awesome, one of a kind, desk ever!! I am so excited because I now have room for both screens (photo editing purposes) and plenting of arm and leg room.



I entered my project in the Do it yourself day on A Soft Place to Land. Click above to see lots of other DIY projects.

10 comments:

  1. I love it! Looks beautiful. The color is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so awesome! i adore the blue shade of those filing cabinets. the color pops and it's an interesting juxtaposition against the distressed door. VERY cool desk! and definitely unique. (and nice job on scoring those cabients for free!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is awesome! i love the bright blue you picked too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The desk looks absolutely Fabulous!! I bet you love to walk by, just touch it, and smile - (that's what I would do) and you did all the work yourselves!!! I am so proud of all the wonderful projects you and Brianne are both doing... it's in the genes you know !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad had a similar desk with two filing cabinets and a glass top, although I don't know if it had a door in between. He would put our pictures and drawings we made as kids under the glass so it was difficult to see underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! When I move in May, I am so junking my old desk and doing this!! great job!
    -Sierra
    http://creativekdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Great! Love the painted File cabinets...I have a cabinet I should do that to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue file cabinets is very refreshing and an awesome color.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin